Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syrian Auxiliaries
Picture is here:
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41 ... aries2.jpg

Hey guys, I’m trying to come up with some variations on 1st cent. Syrian, auxiliaries; like ones you might see taking Jerusalem with the legionaries in the first Jewish war. Although not limited to Syrian, but an eastern Roman auxiliary style. I know there’s not a whole lot of stuff on them, but I thought it would be cool to run it by you guys to see if there’s some neat information that might better shape this illustration.

Left

That’s a chain mail shirt, that’s just a little too tedious and not effective to draw in the rings.

I have no idea with the sword. I wanted to give him a more Eastern-Parthian style sword, but I could really find anything on it… I have Osprey’s “Rome’s Enemies 5” and “3”, which show the cataphract swords, but my thoughts were that they were a little to expensive looking for a guy like this, and they looked long, as though for cavalry. Also, in the other book there lots of illustrations of a simple sword that would suit a guy like this, but I can’t find any remains to better understand what going on in the illustration… (like in panel D,E, and F of Rome’s Enemies 3) Anyone have any information?

Middle

Hopefully he’s self-explanatory enough. His dagger is based on a Syrian knife.

Right

His helmet is based on that 2nd cent. Bosnia Helmet. I know its not the right time period though…

I was thinking a simple wooden handled knife. No real reason, haha, maybe he spent all his money on his belt so he couldn’t afford a sweet knife.

Well, I’d love to get some input, thanks!

Also, I plan to do another illustration exploring some different variations, so if anyone has any ideas for that, I’m all-ears. I’d like to give one a cloth belt, and do some sleeves for one’s squamata. Also throw some different helmets in there.
Travis

Messages In This Thread
Syrian Auxiliaries - by tDub248 - 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by Theodosius the Great - 06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by Graham Sumner - 06-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by D B Campbell - 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by Graham Sumner - 06-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by tDub248 - 06-09-2009, 03:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role richsc 52 9,332 09-09-2015, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Holly Herda