Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syrian Auxiliaries
Interesting about the swords, I just looked over all the books I have that show Eastern style carving, they’re all on the left. Thanks for pointing that out. And that’s a cool article.

Thanks for your responses! The calf length tunics do appear to be the norm. Although I still don’t want to completely let go of the idea of an ankle length tunic. If you guys have Rome’s enemies 5, take a look at page 38. You’ll notice a couple of guys with ankle length tunics and sandals (although it may be texture from the stone, the standing guy may also have pants on, but the other does not appear to). They are from Duro Europos, 2nd to 3rd cent, so not quite the right time or place, but I guess the point is that it may not be unheard of. Also, we should all be able to agree that this Eastern area (Judea, Syria, and all the way to Babylon) in the 6th cent BC and back, a full-length tunic was something you could easily see a man wearing.
I wonder if part of the reason you would see practically no full-length tunics is that it was A. not a style of Royalty, and B. not a comfortable thing for Calvary (of which there was a lot of Calvary in the East), Both of whom would have the majority of stone carving made after themselves.
I think when I start coming up with some other variations on the Syrians, I won’t do any more full length tunics. ?
This makes me wonder, why in the world are Judeans so often portrayed in long tunics? Is it just poor research on Holywood’s behalf? Or would the Jews hold to an older style of clothing; pushing away the Hellenistic/Roman influence as best as they could for as long as they could?

Anyways, thanks again for your responses!
Travis

Messages In This Thread
Syrian Auxiliaries - by tDub248 - 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by Theodosius the Great - 06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by Graham Sumner - 06-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by D B Campbell - 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by Graham Sumner - 06-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Re: Syrian Auxiliaries - by tDub248 - 06-09-2009, 03:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role richsc 52 9,420 09-09-2015, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Holly Herda