Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G. Shipway\'s "Imperial Governor"
Admittedly I have a weakness for Roman historical fiction genre and tend to find something I like in most of them (except for the Roman mysteries/whodunits-I need military action). I enjoy Coleen McCullough's Master's of Rome, Damion' Hunter's Centurion series as well as Simon Scarrows books. I enjoyed Imperial Governor because of the perspective of the main character. He was not a grunt or junior officer like in Hunter's or Scarrow's series, nor a commander of Caesar or Marius' status but mid-way between the two. A governor with military responsibilities and missions answerable to the emperor and his senior beaurocrats and hindered by other bearurocrats of comparable status.<br>
<br>
I particularly enjoyed the detailed description of the military campaigns and Roman units. The campaign in norhtern Wales, invasion of Anglesey and Boudiccea's revol are some of the high points. Having read Sinclair's Warrior Queen and Rosemary Sutcliff's Song of a Dark Queen (both about Boudiccea's revolt) it was interesting to read a story from the point of view of her antagonist. It was also unique in that the main character has flaws, his hatred for Britons grows but the events he experiences seems to explain why he feels the way he does. On the other hand he is a conscientious leader and good commander.<br>
<br>
I highly recommend the book. <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
G. Shipway\'s "Imperial Governor" - by richard - 02-15-2003, 06:10 AM
Imperial Gov - by Anonymous - 03-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Re: Imperial Gov - by richard - 03-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Superb Story - by Anonymous - 05-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Just finished it - by Muzzaguchi - 05-25-2003, 12:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Governor! Spedius 72 21,938 04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Spedius
  George Shipway, A Biography! Spedius 10 4,623 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Spedius
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 4,012 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus