Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of Scorpions & Sliders
Thank you for the welcome and advice. I dont mind the mods seeing who they are talking to but prefer my name kept from public viewing? I'd also like to one day compete in the punkin chuckin contest or start one here in Ontario Canada. BTW, there are many Roman re-creation groups here and in other provinces. Some just a HURL away LOL.

The narrow framed machines are in my estimation the earlier versions while the wider framed machines designed to take fuller advantage in the change of positioning of the side stantions or arm stops or limiters. With the increased limb arc possible by the tech. advancement would also have changed other components including limb length, distance between the frames,and length of pull, and also the need to increase the length of rope bundles allowing the increased limb arc capabilities. As with all things, the materials available to utilize in the construction of these machines allowed further advancements and capabilities which would also have changed the mathematical calculations for optimal performance for a given task. The machines design/constuction is purpose driven and outcome based as is most tech. advances. It would seem to me that the cheiroballistra (Scorpion) name contradicts classification because while capable of firing stones my understanding is that it fired large darts or spears. Another definition criteria I have come across is that ballista's fired non-sharps. While you have cited narrow framed to wide frame machines as a criteria for definition, other places cite the stanchion placement as a criteria to differentiate between different types. Thus my confusion in what constitutes naming criteria or defining characteristics...

Well, the better half is calling and I gotta go for now. Thanks again for advice and be back later.

Warhammer.
Torsion rules! - Joel from Ham. Ont. Ca.

Messages In This Thread
Of Scorpions & Sliders - by P. Clodius Secundus - 07-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by D B Campbell - 07-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by AuxArcher - 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catapults, a Case Against Sliders (Heresy) P. Clodius Secundus 9 2,719 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Last Post: P. Clodius Secundus