Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ten Most Historically Inaccurate Movies
Good points Sergey -- indeed film is art, and as such you are quite right that the artist (director, writer, etc.) should push the boundaries of the art form. Tarantino's new film will certainly do that.)

However...

When those artists, say Steven Spielberg and his screenwriter, make pre-release claims that their film (Saving Private Ryan) would be the first honest, realistic depiction of the D-Day landings and then proceed to make obvious historical errors (exactly where was the 2nd SS Panzer on D+3?) then I think that film is fair game for criticism on historical grounds.

Many film makers use the dodge that, oh this is just a film not a documentary, but that is nothing more than lazy film making. Kurosawa was legendary for his attention to detail. Most of his films were fiction and yet he was no less rigorous when it came to costumes, sets, atmosphere, etc.

How would we react to a film about the Battle of Kursk in which the Germans wore modern US Army Kevlar helmets or the Soviets wore First World War Tsarist Army caps? And yet is that not essentially what happened in the HBO Rome series? The helmets worn by Pullo and Vorenus are of a style much later than the time period of the film.

Even so...

Your point is taken Sergey, it is silly list, but fun none the less. I happen to enjoy Rome, warts and all as I do I, Claudius where the armor and helmets were not much better.

I think this is why we so admire the films of Kurosawa, or Kubrick or Scorsese, and look askance at films like 10,000 BC or 300 (a triumph of design though the latter may have been).

Just my random thoughts.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ten Most Historically Inaccurate Movies - by Narukami - 08-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies" - Yahoo! Theodosius the Great 69 16,307 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Last Post: john m roberts