Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cataphract, Clibanarii, whatever, against Infantry
Hello, Recondicom

Lets correct your "speculations."

Quote: Sarmatia is just the big East area to the Baltic sea; which stars at the Syrian border and It varies in size accordingly.
Ahh! They moved Sarmatia since I last looked at it! The north-south geographicial limits of "Sarmatia" were from the north bank of the Danube/Ister to the "Scythian Sea" (the old term used by Pliny), now called the Baltic. Even 16th century maps had this feature. You cannot include the Balkans, the Lavant, or the border of Syria. If you do include them, you lose your next turn and have to go back to the end of the line. :lol:

Quote:The term taefali could apply to all different tribes of sarmatians but also to slavs and others as attested by the customs. Even the Syri could be called Sarmatians and so when they (Josephus) enrolled in Solomon armies as cavalry they were Sarmatians as well.
No, nyet, nien! The term Taifali refers to a specific and singular tribe of Sarmatians. Slavs and Syrians cannot be included as Sarmatians or Taifali. If you do include them, you lose 2 turns and must go back to the end of the other line (the one marked "Slavs Only"). Tongue

Quote:The reason I said this is because they requested women as payment.
Please send these women to me. Make it Fed Ex or Priority. BUT make them young and mostly-good-looking. 8)

Quote:More so… I’m speculating whether the sarmatians before the Eastern/Western Empire were more semitic than Aryan… and whether they were transported by sea and not by land. Let’s not forget the elephants.
Please note: Sarmatians were included in the Indo-Iranian language group. The term "Aryan" has poor connotations. And of course, the idea that Sarmatians were relanted to Syrians or any Semitic-speaking peoples is pure fabula.

Oh! And don't forget the elephants. Otherwise we'd have nothing to ride upon. :roll:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: Cataphract, Clibanarii, whatever, against Infantry - by Alanus - 09-06-2009, 04:41 AM