Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cataphract, Clibanarii, whatever, against Infantry
Quote:I have a specific question concerning a cavalry vs infantry encounter for someone with experience with horses. Suppose I were to form a phalanx of men, then simply kill them all, there bodies falling in ranks. How fast could a horse physically move over the uneven terrain their massed bodies represent without breaking a leg? Conversely how dispersed would the corpses need to be to allow a horse to move rapidly through the area with limited danger?

There must be some anectdotes about the hazard of corpses on a battlefield.

From my limited knowledge, it would depend on the horse. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned Redcoats dropping flat if they didn't have time to form a square and (hopefully) the horses would try to avoid stepping on them. This didn't IIRC work very well when said cavalry was Lancers. In medieval times horses were trained from the time they foals to bloody corpses and step on them.

And of course a human body is very squishy and so if a running horse stepped on it. . .
Ben.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Cataphract, Clibanarii, whatever, against Infantry - by Aulus Perrinius - 12-11-2009, 05:48 PM