Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cataphract, Clibanarii, whatever, against Infantry
Hi Nik,

A bit late, this reply, but I've been off line for some time.. :|

Quote: I asume that you are not disputing the mixing of infantry and cavalry
No, I wasn't. I disputed your claim that "the Romans had 2 units of Cataphracts, who, infamously, were defeated by German troops getting in amoung them and stabbing the horses in their unprotected belllies". I've read no evidence of two units being defeated (I'll get back to that later), nor of the supposed manner of the horses being stabbed by germanic troop mingling with the Roman cavalry. that may have occurred, but Ammianus does not describe it.

Quote:"Scattered in whatever direction they could" and "looking for nothing except safety in fligt" is rather more than "wavered" IMO.

Quote:Further down (42) it is claimed that the Germans defeated and scattered 'the cavalry', but whether this is the left wing cavalry or the right (or both) remains unclear,
Yes, indeed that's what Ammianus writes. But Ammianus also writes that the cavalry was stopped by Julian, and that they rejoined the fight. Also, a slightly injured commander suddenly dies in battle - how did this happen if he was already gone?
This is in direct contradiction with what Ammianis wrote before, and hence we have to disbelieve one or the other of his statements. I've chosen to to read the one about the 'scattering cavarly' as the overreaction, since ancient cavalry in flight usually stops when the horses get tired - i have yet to recall a battle where they actually rejoin the fight.

Quote:No idea why you think only the Alamanni leaders had horse - see above for "they put all their strongest cavalry forces on their flank in close order".
Yes, you got that one right. The Alamanni had some cavalry.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Cataphract, Clibanarii, whatever, against Infantry - by Robert Vermaat - 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM