Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project: from homo computeris to Olympic Athlete
@ Nathan Ross
Good text.Though I don't know who actually finds Mr.R.Crowe a muscle buff :wink:

And yes, i maybe overstating the meat thing, but the vegetarian diet,certainly even more exaggerated, without meat,fish or cheese has no real back up with anyone who knows even a bit about sport and nutrition required for strenuous activity like fighting to death.

@everyone

To simplify this topic as much as possible.And I don't speak as a person interested in Roman history(which I am not), but as a person who was Greek-Roman wrestler for 13 years,and now lives and will live from building and/or shaping and/or conditioning bodies. As I have not that good English vocabulary to engage in a discussion about physiology,sport medicine etc, i will say this:

Vegetarian gladiator(I don't think parallel can be made with regular Roman soldier) is a myth, every person of my profession will say that.
It makes sense that a gladiator had fat,a lot of it,i did read about it after all.Simple carbs are cheaper,can be eaten in tens of kg-s, do provide energy for a fight,and fat. Fat is useful,it does provide a cushion and it protects THE MUSCLE..The only way to produce muscle,and sure you needed it because IT WAS NOT SUMO WRESTLING, was by eating protein.(Don't make me get into "Why muscle is needed story").The muscle was present, I did watch documentary about bones of gladiators and deep tendon impressions on them (big muscle leaves big impressio lig.) End of story.Lack of protein, catabolic process etc is something no fighter wants to have.Good body needs balanced diet,big body more food/calories,little body (Chinese) less. You also need minerals but that was taken extra like today suplements. I read it also.
I would DIE in ring,or broken in half if I had no muscle,and beans alone wont make a lot of it(unfortunately)...I am now 182cm, 102kg, with 18%fat (it's a lot) :oops: , and I eat 800gr of meat, 20-25eggs, 1/3 kg cheese just for protein (daily of course).Not to mention tones of carbs and fibers. Even if we change my muscle to fat ratio to that of gladiator(more fat) the picture would not be that much different,trust me. It can not be done without protein, and you can not fight without muscle.

@D B Campbell
I know what are you going for. But as my language barrier kicks in I think this link can do more help than me, and can be translated into point about gladiators as well.

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Mo-P ... ength.html

And no, I am not Russian.

Sorry for long post.

All best
Aleksandar Nikic

????? ?????? ???? ??????????? ?????????? ? ???? .....
..said the 143 kg stone,for a testimony of still unseen feat of strenght.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Project: from homo computeris to Olympic Athlete - by Polinik - 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charioteer - highest paid athlete in history Epictetus 1 1,675 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest