Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project: from homo computeris to Olympic Athlete
Quote:
Olaf:yj4yownz Wrote:Actually there is little iconographic evidence for overweight Gladiators.
Maybe because of artists presenting often a more aesthetic ideal than reality ? :? .. Also being overweight (if within certain limits of course) mustn't necessarily translate into a couch-potatoe-like shape.

Agree.

Most of excavated bones of gladiators that I saw or read about are said to be big, marks left by ligaments are deep,which indicate big muscles,how much fat went over that, no one can know...Ripped large men are very hard to see even today,so I agree that artists probably did not always present accurate images..My vision is something more or less like today strongmen or powerlifters. There is muscle but there is fat in good amount as well.

And yes, certainly as there were many types of gladiators, their size varied to fit their role.And they came in all sizes and shapes.

All best
Aleksandar Nikic

????? ?????? ???? ??????????? ?????????? ? ???? .....
..said the 143 kg stone,for a testimony of still unseen feat of strenght.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Project: from homo computeris to Olympic Athlete - by Polinik - 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charioteer - highest paid athlete in history Epictetus 1 1,694 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest