Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miscellaneous odd, and irritating, points!
Quote:I'm not an expert on Apicius, nor do I have a copy of his recipe book at present, but I'm sure I remember lentils with garum and other ingredients. Of course, "lentils" can also be a generic word for "beans", so that may not be a good reference.
Lentils (lenticula) as such seem to have been well known in the Roman world :-
1. Apicius has several recipes for them, including lentils and parsnips ( lenticula ex sphondylis), lentils and chestnuts ( lenticulum de castaneis) and plain lentils with leeks and coriander (aliter lenticulam) and vegetable and lentil soup ( peas,lentils chick-peas with barley,leeks, coriander aniseed, fennel, beets and cabbage leaves) for example.....

2."I find that the authorities on the subject consider that the eating of lentils promotes an even temper" Pliny, XVIII.32

3. Cato's text on farm management also refers to preserving lentils ; "How you should preserve lentils: dissolve silphium in vinegar ( a now largely extinct bitter herb/spice grown only in Libya - Nero is reputed to have had the last of it ! In modern versions, replaced by asafoetida/Indian hing) soak the lentils in the silphium/vingar mixture, then stand them in the sun. Rub the dried lentils with oil and let them dry and they will keep quite sound"
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Miscellaneous odd, and irritating, points! - by Paullus Scipio - 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM