Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea
Quote:I find this interesting, as the current academic view does seem to be that Sparta had a major manpower crisis, possibly as a result of the earthquakes and Helot revolts of the 460s, that led them to undertake emergency measures and new laws. This would be a fascinating revision of history, if accurate--after all, it would suddenly cast Sparta as the underdog rather than the ancient military power in the looming contest with Athens. it would suggest, if true, that it was not plucky Athens deciding to resist Spartan hegemony, but perhaps plucky Sparta throwing the dice against the encroachment of mighty Athens...

I'm with Giannis: I too thought this the norm - then perhaps I should cease seeing what I think as the norm?!

The evidence is patchy but it does suggest that Sparta will have faced difficulties. The call for help in the wake of the 'quake indicates distress - particularly for a supposed "secretive" state; the dismissal of the Athenians as well. Just how the event effected manpower is difficult to know. During the "revolt" of Naxos (or was it Thasos?) it is recorded that Sparta was entertaining notions of supporting the rebels until the 'quake. A matter of years later Sparta musters a rather large army - especially for an operation beyond the Isthmus - and battles Athens to a standstill at Tanagra. Then Sparta, seemingly uninterested, turned back Persian silver to engage Athens as she aided the regular Egyptian revolt.

The willingness to send "1,500 hoplites of their own" beyond the Isthmus might indicate a roll call of some 6,000 or more you'd think.

Still on land, against the "full" levy of the Peloponnesian League, Athens is justly described as "plucky". I doubt Athens, minus a land empire or firm allies in that sphere, was ever in the position to take on the League. In fact it a stark example of Alcibiades' twisted abilities that he arranged for the alliance of 419-18 to do that fighting on Athens' behalf (so to speak). The same might be observed for the League taking on the Athenian Empire's naval might inyil, that is, Persian "darics" were procurred to buy fleets.

Just how the Spartan military organisation changed is largely beyond recovery and left to theorising. I don't doubt that it did change: a quick scan of the Hellenica turns up not a single reference to "mora" after Leuctra. In every instance I've found that describes the Lacedaemonian army (7.1.30; 4.20; 5.10) the only unit mentioned is the lochos (the number of which is twelve). There surely is a reason that "mora" (often mentioned beforehand) is now gone from the pages of Xenophon's history.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea - by Paralus - 10-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plataea 2021 List of Research Topics Sean Manning 13 3,306 01-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Strength and Organization of the Persian Army at Plataea Sean Manning 16 7,122 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Battle of Plataea hoplite07 14 3,871 08-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio