Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Centurion and his horse questions.
Greek infantrymen wore greaves, so the suggestion they were too encumbering for Romans and thus they were retained only by the cavalry is a stretch theory to my mind; it make sense for cavalrymen to use them since a rider's shins are up at a level they could be attacked, but since there are many grave stelae that show cavalrymen without them, they're hardly an indicator.

The one Centurio who was originally a cavalryman doesn't seem a reasonable piece of evidence either since I've read a number of recent history cases of former cavalrymen and users of horses to always have an affinity for them regardless of moving on to tanks or whatever (e.g. the Wehrmacht's 24. Panzer-Division and Artillerie-Regiment 171). If there were one of a Centurio who died during his service and was always in the infantry, that'd be more telling, but then one example is hardly universal proof now is it? That's why I pointed out the error of assuming unviersality. Grave stelae in general aren't necessarily terribly helpful for the question of riding because they weren't put up by the person, so don't indicate necessarily what he thought important but what was normal or his relative thought was important- often they simply show 'stuff'- armor, greaves, phalarae, etc. so for all we know the idea was to show valuable possesions. A horse would certainly be valuable.

Some of the other 'pros' for riding I don't agree with either- an eques is not a Centurio, selling a horse simply means ownership that could be booty for all anyone knows, and I'm not sure how referring to an equestrian amongst the infantry could possibly mean a regular Centurio, which is what is being discussed, right? The only one that does seem to fit is the mention of Centuriones travelling with the other officers- although the horse-mounted men wouldn't be travelling faster than the marching army, so it doesn't necessarily mean the Centuriones were doing more than marching too.

I would think the cons could only be the problems with the pros since riding is the questionable position- marching is the default. I'd say the cons are that none of the pros so far is particularly compelling.

It seems likely we're just going to be left (once again LOL) with just theories based on 'not impossible' or 'reasonable' ideas...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Centurion and his horse questions. - by Matt Lukes - 11-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cataphract armor and horse questions Aulus Perrinius 35 10,799 04-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Last Post: John Conyard