Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilia Cohorts and the Claudian Invasion of Britain
Quote:Graham - Similarly, I dont have Guy's book. What units does he mention as part of the claudian invasion?

As Duncan say's, very little for any unit in the invasion force. The only unit known is Legio II Augusta and that is only due to a mention in the career of Vespasianus.

Quote:Well, the Batavians were definately there!

Sorry Byron if they were they have left no trace. I think the first mention for any of them in Britain for certain is at Vindolanda much later. Again as Duncan said the only 'evidence' is really lack of evidence for specific units elsewhere so the assumption is therefore they must be in Britain, or "they were in Britain later so therefore they must have arrived with the invasion force" and finally some units were used to cross rivers, so thats the evidence for the Batavians!

It always used to be said that four specific Legions were involved but even that is now thought to be guesswork. The answer as it so often is, is we really do not know.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Auxilia Cohorts and the Claudian Invasion of Britain - by Graham Sumner - 11-05-2009, 03:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claudian fort at Exeter kavan 0 519 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: kavan
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,356 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Thracian Coh. and Аla in the Invasion of Britain Rado 24 6,878 11-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Rado