Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilia Cohorts and the Claudian Invasion of Britain
Quote:... it's original name was Ala 1 Flavia Augusta, however Spaul tells us that it was in Britain during the trib' pot X of Caudius which is 50AD.
Again, this is guesswork, Brian. Spaul has decided to compile a listing for AD 50, so he's popped ala I Britannica into the "Britain" list, because (a) he can't find it elsewhere, and (b) its name indicates that it must've been in Britain at some point. (Interestingly, neither Holder nor Jarrett list the regiment, because there isn't a single piece of evidence for it in Britain.)

btw It's original name was probably ala I Augusta (along with a few others, I think) --- it wouldn't have been Flavia until Flavian times! :wink:

Quote:... during the invasion of 43 with the Batavians because Tacitus later refers to their "long" service in Britain.
I actually agree with Mark Hassall, Jens: that the first series of Batavian cohorts took part in the invasion. But the remark about "long service" could refer to the later series of Batavian regiments who served at Mons Graupius.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Auxilia Cohorts and the Claudian Invasion of Britain - by D B Campbell - 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claudian fort at Exeter kavan 0 519 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: kavan
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,356 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Thracian Coh. and Аla in the Invasion of Britain Rado 24 6,878 11-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Rado