Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilia Cohorts and the Claudian Invasion of Britain
Quote:
D B Campbell:1lurdxg8 Wrote:And the tribune of V Alaudae in ILS 974 was probably decorated by Claudius for service on the Rhine
.....I suspect that the fact that there were major campaigns in Britain, but not on the Rhine ( which was apparently fairly quiet) at this time might make it more likely the awards were earnt in britain....
Of course, you're entitled to your opinion. But if Occam's Razor teaches us anything, it suggests that, if a tribune of V Alaudae, stationed at Vetera on the Rhine, was decorated a Tiberio Claudio (ILS 974), we should first look for an explanation closer to Vetera. If none can be found, then we are entitled to widen our search.

When you claim that there were no major campaigns on the Rhine at this time, you have perhaps forgotten Corbulo's campaign against the Chauci in AD 47 (Tacitus, Annals 11.18), major enough to warrant the award of triumphal insignia to Corbulo, and (no doubt) commensurate awards to his officers, amongst them (in my opinion) the unnamed tribune of V Alaudae. Fairly quiet? I don't think so.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Auxilia Cohorts and the Claudian Invasion of Britain - by D B Campbell - 11-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claudian fort at Exeter kavan 0 519 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: kavan
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,356 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Thracian Coh. and Аla in the Invasion of Britain Rado 24 6,878 11-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Rado