Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress
Quote:Thanks!

Yes I used 0.5 mm brass sheet which seems to be approximately the thickness of some surviving lockets as you say.

Good luck with the project. I found that spending time getting an accurately sized print out of the actual locket paid off and I made what was in effect a stencil to mark the cut out parts of the design. The rest was drawn free hand.

For making a cut out plate, what I use to do is start with making a real size print, as you say, but then glue it onto the brass sheet with photo adhesives. You can now normally saw and drill when always seeing the perfect original on it. If I need to do engraving I use to copy the print of the original to the brass by using carbon paper and afterwards fixing this drawing on the plate using some adhesive spray. (which you can easy remove afterwards during sanding and polishing steps.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress - by Jvrjenivs - 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,777 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,166 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladius Type - Pompeii or Mainz? Gatorsailor 12 3,695 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs