Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress
The nails are very small, the lower top holes indeed seem outside the area covered by the suspensionstrip. I believe these nails were just there to fix the locket to the scabbard, I doubt they would have been clenched, just driven in at an outward angle. These is no evidence of thin strips having been soldered on, as these pass beneath the two long strips at the side and why is there nothing visible in the join of the long strip to the locket? The picture you posted (I believe this is the find from Mainz?) shows the way the thin strip would be attached. Then it would also be unlikely for three thin strips falling off, but the tinning being unblemisched and the rest of the locket with all its fixtures remaining intact. So I would/will reconstruct this locket without thin strips and sufficiently wide suspension band.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress - by Robert - 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,772 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,128 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladius Type - Pompeii or Mainz? Gatorsailor 12 3,685 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs