Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Army of Herod the Great; (New Osprey)
David:

Thank you. I hope to be back in arms with all you Austinites right after the holidays.

The plates show a variety of clothing from the 1st Century BC. Judeans wear clavii'd tunics and some are shown clean shaven (Good!). So many modern depictions tend to show the average Judean as Bedouin-like and that is not done here. The pictures and reproduced line drawings you have probably seen before. Since the 2nd Commandment appears to have been followed regarding personal imagery, the author admits the difficulty of attempting the reconstructions and relies heavily on Hellenistic and Gallation graphic sources (The earliest known Jewish depictions of themselves are from the synagoge at Dura Europa, as far as I know. Another key source would be the captive Judeans from the Arch of Titus, who IIRC, are depicted wearing trousers). Other than my previous comment regarding the Gamma on female cloaks, this is worth the money. The author does the best job I have ever read of summarizing the chaotic Herodian era--no easy feat.

I think Connolly's "Living in the Time of Jesus" is still the gold standard, but this is a worthy addition to your eastern Mediteranian library.
TITVS CORNELIVS LONGINVS

COL ® Alan C. Huffines

Messages In This Thread
Re: "The Army of Herod the Great" (New Osprey) - by alanhuffines - 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alexander the Great and the logistics of the macedonian army Anonymous 11 2,724 07-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Last Post: venicone
  New Osprey book about Alexander`s army in april 2006! Virilis 11 2,939 02-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr