Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did they keep the mules in garrison?
Quote:Surely this must have been done before.
Across a 20ha+ camp site? Too expensive. Cry

Quote:Apparently it has been used to identify the location where horses were kept, i.e. in the same building as the cavelrymen.
Of course, that's in a permanent fort site, Byron. You'll find details in my Roman Auxiliary Forts book (but not in the very out-of-date fort books by Roger Wilson and Anne Johnston, that were advertised on another thread).

Archaeologists recognised the tell-tale patches of discolouration, and were able to analyse these localised deposits. Much more difficult across the bare expanse of a marching camp.

EDIT: Checking back to p.1, I see that we have been going around in circles. I'd forgotten that we already dealt with the marching camps and had moved on to the permanent forts! So, although the problem of accommodating cavalry horses seems to have been solved (i.e. they were in the barracks beside their riders), the whereabouts of any ancillary beasts is still a matter of conjecture. But each permanent post had its own "territory" where animals could have been grazing.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Where did they keep the mules in garrison? - by D B Campbell - 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Re: Where did they keep the mules in garrison? - by Ross Cowan - 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mules in the Roman Army jkaler48 18 5,675 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Carvettia