Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did they keep the mules in garrison?
Quote:The idea that "Many Legions would have absolutely no use for mules, in any case" is about as probable as a modern Western army having absolutely no use for motor vehicles.
Of course, this is a false analogy, as anyone who gives it even a moment's thought can see. A "modern Western army" is paralysed without motor vehicles, which are ubiquitous in society at large. But the mule was not the only beast of burden known to the Romans.

I concede that it was rash of me to suggest that a legion might have "absolutely no" use for mules. After all, the commander's wife would need a mule carriage to ferry her around. But I simply cannot imagine, say, the Sixth Victrix at York messing about with mules when one or two ox waggons could bring the day's wine ration up from the docks.

I admit that I am guilty of exaggeration. But there must be something in the air -- this thread seems to encourage exaggeration:
Quote:For the pre-Flavian Legion of 60 centuries; some 1400 mules ( with a carrying capacity of around 175 metric tonnes)
For the post-Flavian Legion of 59 centuries ( with "double" First cohort); around 1525 Mules ( with a carrying capacity of 190 metric tonnes).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Where did they keep the mules in garrison? - by Ross Cowan - 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Re: Where did they keep the mules in garrison? - by D B Campbell - 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mules in the Roman Army jkaler48 18 5,675 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Carvettia