Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan and the Dacian Wars
Quote:Lino Rossi was apparently a pathologist based in Milan and an amateur enthusiast in Roman studies. (That doesn't make him a bad person! :wink: ) His book was groundbreaking because it was the first publication of photos of the spiral frieze from the ground, the viewpoint of the ordinary Roman in the street

Not quite, since the ordinary Roman did not have the benefit of a telephoto lens. His images might have been better if the postulated library balcony (however high it might have been) still existed, but it doesn't, so they weren't!

Quote:-- however, the images are poor, and everyone goes back to the Cichorius plates for the detail.

Not everybody, surely - some of us prefer Lehmann-Hartleben. Incidentally, Cichorius' personally annotated copy of his work is in private possession (the bookseller apparently didn't realise quite what he had)... but not that of The Good Dr Coulston (much to his chagrin).

For some reason I was always under the impression that Rossi was a dentist (don't ask me why, I have no idea) but he clearly had a distinguished career beyond long-lens photography of the TC.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Re: Trajan and the Dacian Wars - by Rumo - 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Re: Trajan and the Dacian Wars - by Epictetus - 12-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Re: Trajan and the Dacian Wars - by Flaminio - 12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Re: Trajan and the Dacian Wars - by Flaminio - 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Re: Trajan and the Dacian Wars - by D B Campbell - 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Re: Trajan and the Dacian Wars - by mcbishop - 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 395 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  Legions in Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign AureliusFalco 5 3,239 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Last Post: AureliusFalco
  Legions of Trajans Dacian wars marcus ulpius quadratus 17 12,139 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross