Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cassius Dio and 3 ply linothorakes
Quote:
Quote:The question is, though, whether they commonly wore them in combat or not.

Whats with the infantryman at the Pompeimosaic behind the ass of Alexandros horse? In my opinion he wears a sandcoloured kausia, maybe an Agrianian?
Very interessting the thing with the oxhidekausia.
Quote:
rocktupac:3efsq54b Wrote:I believe that is the strap belonging to the dark-colored horse's reins (seen above/behind the face in question). The slightly curved band (which is misidentified as a kausia) attaches to the reddish piece of the bit of the dark-colored horse. This is also the same with the horse Alexander is riding and we get a much clearer idea of what this strap actually is. I do not believe it is evidence of that soldier wearing the kausia.

You're still missing it. Here's a picture pointing out the face with the kausia outlined.

http://antiquemilitaryhistory.com/image ... kausia.jpg

Ah yes, I see what you're talking about now! I completely missed it. :oops:

An article written by Chryssoula Saatsoglou-Paliadeli ("Aspects of Ancient Macedonian Costume" JHS 113, 1993) identifies the rider, thought to be Ptolemy, as wearing a kausia as well (p. 136).
Scott B.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Cassius Dio and 3 ply linothorakes - by rocktupac - 01-26-2010, 12:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cassius Dio and Herodian as a military historians eugene 3 1,265 09-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Marja
  Avidius Cassius\' portrait Jona Lendering 16 4,003 08-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering