Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding Magna Graecia colonies
According to the Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Greece (which is a handy reference tool) Magna Graecia - or perhaps we should call it Megale Hellas (?) - was colonised by all of the four main Greek tribes at one time or another.

Taras (later Tarantum) was the Spartan colony and the most significant Dorian colony in southern Italy, most of the other key Dorian cities being in Silicy (Selinous, Minoa, Akragas, Gela, Kamarina, Syracuse).

There are a lot of earlier Akhaian (Achaean) colonies almost exclusively in Italy - Poseidonia, Pyxous, Skidros, Laos, Terina, Medna, Matauros, Locri, Kaulonia.

The Ionians were also present, chiefly at Cumae, Neapolis (later Naples), Siris, Elea, Thurii and Rhegion in Italy, and at Mylai, Zankle, Naxos, Catana, Himera and Leontinoi in Sicily. The earliest known Ionian settlement was I believe by the Euboeans at Pithekoussai on Ischia.

As far as I know the Aiolians (Aeolians) only founded one main colony at Sybaris which we al know was destroyed by neighbouring Croton.

There are a good many others of whom I am uncertain as to the founding tribe such as: Kasmenai, Akrai (Acrae), Megara Hyblaia, Hipponion, Herakleia, Kaleakte, Kallipolis, Metapontion and Satyrion.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question regarding Magna Graecia colonies - by Ghostmojo - 01-27-2010, 12:21 AM