Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The light armed cohorts discussion and evidence
Actually, arrian is only one of the sources quoted above, so I don't think this topic is reserved only for the periods Arrian was writing about.
Also Crispus, there are more than one depictions of pila with what appears to be lead weights, sometimes multiple lead weights.
As usual, I am offshore so I don't have the images on hand, but I think, could be wrong, but I think, there are images from the Dura
frescos of what appear to be multiple weights on a pilum......what else could it logically be?
a couple of fruit stuck on incase he gets hungry during sentry duty?

And Crispus, I know what plumbate are, so I wouldn't point you to any. Smile

Absence of evidence is not proof of absence, had you ever seen the plates on the Kalkriese seg until the
evidence was available?

What do you think those bulbs could possibly be?
I am not convinced by the Ceramic theory either, so I would think the lead weight is one of the most plausable theories going.
The feel of the weighted pilum is far more convincing than anything else I have heard.
Iconography is all we have to go with, and it does appear that it isn't all loopy artists on magic mushrooms.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: The light armed cohorts discussion and evidence - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Light Armed Troops vs Auxillia jkaler48 4 1,956 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Peroni
  Velites and Light Armed Johnny Shumate 4 1,666 03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Last Post: drsrob
  light armed troops TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX 2 1,214 02-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Last Post: TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX