Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmetsize compared to legionary headsize
I've looked into this before as well. If the average Roman stature was ca. 5% smaller than today's average European then head size also decreases (contrary to popular opinion which I equate to an urban myth or meme). I have one of the earlier DSC tinned Gallic A's and I can't help but feel it has the correct sizing for modern proportions. Just fill the helmet with plenty of padding as seen in actual found helmets. I also don't buy the "legionaries took what they were given" factoid any further than, if there were a pile of helmets, they would take the one that fitted best. Original sizes seem to be too small, IMHO, for the modern head as evidenced by the interminable rows that went on about sizing of helmets from Deepeeka et al where some wanted replicas of the original, including dimensions, but others wanted something that actually would fit. The same goes for armour and scuta sizes, again IMHO.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Helmetsize compared to legionary headsize - by Tarbicus - 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A heretical question (leather Lorica is peanuts compared...) Virilis 20 5,501 11-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus