Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?
Dear professor Russell'
Quote: Dear all
Apologies for interceding at such a late date (but have only just been pointed to this thread by a colleague), but I hope you’ll accept (or at least consider) some corrections to a few factual issues with regard to Bloodline – the Celtic Kings of Roman Britain..
I'd be very happy to!

Quote:Ok, but again that’s not my theory and neither has it anything to do with Bloodline
It's indeed a point I should take to heart, because I was apparently fooled by comments of others about your book and perhaps the blurb from the publishers. All that about Geoffrey of Monmouth and British kings, btw, was only about Geoffrey of Monmouth and what he wrote, not a comment on your book.

Quote:Vortigern Studies said:
I have not seen any evidence of any turning academic tide when it comes to the descruction of VIIII Hispana on British soil.

Neither have I particularly….I don’t believe that I’ve ever talked about ‘turning academic tides’ with regard to the IX Legion (nor any other aspect of Roman Britain) in the book or anywhere else. I wouldn’t dare to presume that I know what the great seething mass of academia is thinking or indeed believing. Bloodline sets down my point of view and I do not speak for anyone else.
That was a comment, apparently, from the wiki page in which they quoted you as being part of a 'turning academic tide'. If you say this is not the case that's even better to me. Big Grin

Much less that 'strong evidence' quoted in that book!

Have you read the book? I’m more than happy to discuss the evidence (which is ultimately no stronger than that suggesting that the Legion was posted East and died out in some atrocity there). It’s a point of view and all the ‘strong evidence’ (again, not something that I claim) is in the public domain, although it is just rarely debated. Ultimately it’s discussion, debate and serious consideration that I’m trying to instigate. I make no big claims beyond that.
I have indeed not read your book (point taken! :oops: ) , and I begin to wonder whether the person who wrote that comment on the wiki page did either!

I bet it's Mr Russell himself (or perhaps his publisher) who wrote that on Wiki.

Or someone who has read the book and liked it…stranger things have happened.
Indeed they have. As was proven today in this news item from the BBC
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? - by Robert Vermaat - 04-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain? Nathan Ross 2 1,374 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,343 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana) Pons Aelius 8 2,770 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius