Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?
Quote:After all, I enjoy Rome, Gladiator, 300 etc. a lot even when I know they are not "entirely historical"
No, hold on there. There was a city named Rome, and there were gladiators in it. The Romans frequently used the word maximus, there was, indeed, and emperor named Commodus, and Marcus Aurelius looked just like Peter O'Toole, 6*50 is always 300 (in base ten, anyway) and for what it's worth, maybe Xerxes wore a Speedo and gold paint. Nobody can be sure about everything.

Back on topic: I'm sure I read somewhere that the 9th was stationed on the Continent quite some time after the Boudicca revolt, and it seems like it was in Germania, but I can't remember the source. Maybe after the sun comes up, my brain will be more functional. Or maybe not.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Re: New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? - by M. Demetrius - 04-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain? Nathan Ross 2 1,353 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,338 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana) Pons Aelius 8 2,751 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius