Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?
Quote:Thanks for that, Ross. You've got to wonder why the producers didn't just use the actual military disaster known to history in 9 CE as the backdrop instead of a make-believe one. I guess they were just trying to stay faithful to Sutcliffe's book? (That might actually be a first for the Hollywood...) Or maybe they figured there would be more talk about the movie if they picked a controversial date.

I've not seen The Eagle yet, but I can assure you that Centurion is nothing at all like Sutcliffe's book. Neither, as far as I'm aware, does it claim to be, I suppose. I think it's just a film based on the idea that the 9th came to grief at the hands of us blue painted savages in "the north".

Messages In This Thread
Re: New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? - by Lianachan - 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain? Nathan Ross 2 1,374 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,343 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana) Pons Aelius 8 2,770 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius