Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double breasted or center fastening?
Quote:The major difference with other belt-wearing warriors is that I don't know of belts commonly being worn over cuirasses in cultures other than Greek or those influenced by the Greeks. Our evidence also points to it being a sign of authority, and thus a mark of the officer, and not simply a warrior trait.

I mention the ubiquity of belts as signs of manhood to suggest that this is why a belt would be chosen as such a sign of rank- it is tied to a long tradition of belts as martial signs.

Quote:I have a hard time seeing this as functional: it is primarily depicted being worn by men wearing metal cuirasses, and any organic cuirass stiff enough to properly deflect blows could surely be very difficult to cinch with a belt.

I don't imagine you could simply cinch it like a pair of pants, but if it were ill-fitting the bottom tie might need some extra support in holding a too-tight corselet together, or if too loose, you could pull the bottom of the side-panel past where it normally fastens and hold it together at a smaller diameter. This is something that could be easily tested by Giannis, if he would be so kind.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Double breasted or center fastening? - by PMBardunias - 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM