Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double breasted or center fastening?
As mentioned Uratian bronze belts are very common, and were not worn over armour. These look very different to the ones shown in this thread.
The Etruscan 'belt' just looks like a painted design of a thorn covered branch to me. I think the idea of a double breasted cuirass is interesting, I don't see why it could not be that there were many different types of cuirass with different methods of fastening.
I think we are in danger of reading too much into the significance of the hoplite tying the belt around his waist. Is it not possible he simply owns a nice piece of fabric and though 'this is nice, I'll tie it round my waist next time I put my armour on'.

The Etruscan painting is lovely, Ive not seen it before.
I don't use the Alexander mosaic for reference. There are several archaeologists who do not think that it is the copy of the Greek original mentioned by the Romans, but made much later. For example the cuirass with the shoulder pteryges are clearly a Roman addition, as by the sounds of it is the belt.
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: Double breasted or center fastening? - by immortal - 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM