Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double breasted or center fastening?
Quote:I don't use the Alexander mosaic for reference. There are several archaeologists who do not think that it is the copy of the Greek original mentioned by the Romans, but made much later. For example the cuirass with the shoulder pteryges are clearly a Roman addition, as by the sounds of it is the belt.

There is no doubt that the Alexander mosaic is a copy of a 4th c. BC original - I'd be eager to hear about which details are considered anachronistic, but both the belt and the shoulder pteryges are entirely Hellenistic. For a clear example of a near-contemporary depiction of a Hellenistic cavalryman wearing a belt, see the Alkestas monument, and there are numerous examples of Hellenistic cuirasses with shoulder pteryges. There are myriad other details that are too true to the 4th c. for it to by anything other than a copy.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: Double breasted or center fastening? - by MeinPanzer - 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM