Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The education of Chinese soldiers and officers
A book that might help is, Chinese Ways In Warfare, edited by Frank A Kierman and John K Fairbank, c1974, ISBN:674-12575-4.
I do not know if this will have the answers you are looking for though it does have a chapter on Ming warfare (The Poyang Campaign, 1363: Inland Naval Warfare in the Founding of the Ming Dynasty)

As mentioned by others, war and military service, while given some "lip service" were not, generally speaking, highly regarded pursuits. ('One does not turn good iron into weapons just as one does not turn good men into soldiers.' I may not have that quote exactly right, I am recalling it from a 1978 graduate course in Chinese Philosophy ...) You might want to check out The Salt And Iron Debates, which were, ostensibly about economic policies, but in reality delved into the philosophical means and purpose of government, including war. It is a bit off your main quest, but might give you a good foundation for the Chinese views on this matter and help to explain the position occupied by the military in ancient China.

Good luck.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Messages In This Thread
Re: The education of Chinese soldiers and officers - by Narukami - 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome chinese terracotta soldiers exhibit until 28 january Goffredo 0 897 10-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Goffredo