Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Ruben wrote:
Quote:And finally, if you actually look at it, all five shields, though being Macedonian shields of about the same size, are different: one has absolutely no rim (second from the right), two have small rims (farthest right and farthest left), one has a larger rim (the one in question), and the morphology of the final one cannot be determined because it is not shown in profile (third from left). So, as I've stated before, these different shields fit in perfectly with the conception of such shields occupying a spectrum of different shapes and sizes, some with no rims, others with small rims, others still with fuller rims.

I don't agree that all five are different at all. To me the only odd one out is the one you perceive as having a distinct rim, and I think Paul B. has the right of it - not least because these two side by side figures should surely have the same type shields. Furthermore, as I have said previously, none of the extant examples, archaeological or iconographic, has any hint of a significant rim......In order for readers to judge for themselves I attach some examples....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by Paullus Scipio - 06-28-2010, 05:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,743 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,081 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,935 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite