Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Quote:I believe you have misunderstood Asclepiodotus, who, like the other versions, refers to the Hoplites/corps of heavy Infantry, not necessarily sarissaphoroi, which “uses very heavy equipment – for the men are protected by shields of the largest size, cuirasses and greaves” – which distinguishes the ‘heavy infantry’ from lighter types. He then goes on to say: “The best type of shield for use in the phalanx is the Macedonian, of bronze, eight palms in diameter..” – note the use of the singular; the best type of shield for the phalanx of heavy infantry/hoplites is the Macedonian one ( as opposed, say, to the Argive aspis, or the Thureos), and of course the best type of spear is also the Macedonian that goes with it.

This does not help your case Paul, for while your version eliminates reference to multiple type of Macedonian shield, it adds the unavoidable implication that an Argive aspis could be used by sarissaphoroi, but is not "the best".

I think Ruben correct in that there were multiple variants upon the basic pelta theme, in depth if not rim size, all of which could be used with a two-handed grip, but those that are "not too hollow" are best. My experimentation leads me to agree with this, depth gets in the way.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by PMBardunias - 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,750 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,095 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,991 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite