Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Quote:I thought the "white" shields were actually silver.

I've never heard that before - there was a regiment of "Silver Shields" (Arguraspides), but they were a separate group. I don't see any reason to doubt that the Leukaspides bore shields painted white.

Quote:I'd bet that they built out the section below the porpax. I could not test this easily, but no need since through the miracle of paint we can show what would happen. If there is any truth to the reliefs at Ephesus, I think they show this. See below:

Well, the shield on the Pydna monument shows no signs of being built out, and it is just such a deeply-dished shield. Could you point out on the Ephesus reliefs where we see a built-out porpax?

Quote:See below, no need to test it because we can predict what would happen from my test. You need either a long, loose antilabe, or you have to move it further out along the shoulder. The shoulder section is what ruins the shield for sarissa use. A better idea would be to build out the porpax like the deep pelta and move it right. By the way, I don't doubt that the aspis "could" be used with a sarissa, only that at some point the modifications required rise to the absurd and you might as well build a new shield.

I would like to see both these options tested to see how they function with an actual Argive shield. I hardly think that adding on two leather straps and popping off a porpax is an absurd amount of modification. And, like I showed before, if all it took was adding a telamon and a lengthened loop to modify such a shield, it would still be way easier and cheaper than actually making a new shield.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by MeinPanzer - 07-01-2010, 10:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,750 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,093 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,987 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite