Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
degradation of Greek cavalry in Hellenistic era
Quote:PMBardunis, I can go from 20- plus on my ATV to 0 in a few seconds and while I definetely feel it I don't go flying over the handle-bars.

Try stopping from 25 mph in 6 feet on your ATV. You will be suprised at how far you have gone even if you lock up the brakes. The normal braking distance is probably more than 15-20 feet, if you lock them up, less, but not the short distance you'd have hitting an enemy line..

Quote:If hit the front on a solid phalanx, my horse will take most of impact and it's heavy chest is up to that, my armour will protect me from the rest.

25-0 in 2 meters and you without a saddle or stirrups and no way to effectively hold on with at least one hand full? You have invented the ancient Airborn corps. Smile

Quote:Also, yes I think cavalry could disengage that easily, the infantry have taken hard hit and are busy digging in their heels and reforming while the cavalry pull back. Even a horse that's not running can still mess you up with short lunges and headbutts and the horse has teeth.

Human runners are actually faster than horses over the first few yards of accelleration. Add to this the horses must turn around presenting flank and rear to men whop are facing the right way. Disengagement is by no means a sure thing. Far better would be to hit the infantry line obliquely, they bounce off at an angle wouth the need to turn back.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: degradation of Greek cavalry in Hellenistic era - by PMBardunias - 07-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Shield types from Bronze to Hellenistic Age hoplite14gr 6 5,796 04-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Last Post: DR_Reham
  Questioning two myths about ancient Greek cavalry Agonis 1 1,681 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Cavalry Operations in Ancient Greek World Vindex 10 2,726 12-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Macedon