Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whatever became of the Roman Army in the West
Well, yea...., the term 'Roman' was technically a legal term that changed over time. For example, the term 'Roman' during the time of Caracalla was far more inclusive and expansive than the same term used in the days of Tiberius. But so what? Also, let's not forget there was also a practical meaning of the term, 'Roman.' The practical meaning might have included the concept of being Latinized, perhaps even being Catholic (vice Arian) in one's religious thought. Arguably to be Roman was to embrace the culture and values of the empire at the time (and I realize the empire was multicultural and polyglotic, but still Latinization and Helinization defined it mostly), and of course to hold allegiance to the empire and to the emperor. So, one could be of barbarian ancestry (e.g. Stilicho) and yet be very Roman. Concomitantly, one could have been born a Roman citizen, may even have fought in the Roman Army for the emperor at some point, but later went over to the barbarian side, like fighting on the side of the Huns, for example. I think a good, modern-day analogy would be being American. One can be of, let's say, German ethnicity (as I am) but be an American, not a German national. Again, please understand my basic question, "whatever became of the soldiers in the imperial Roman army in the West, particularly after 476 AD?" I really don't care if they were or were not Roman citizens, nor if they were Sabine, Latin, Sarmation, or Gepid. I believe some of you have provided some very good, insightful replies on the intended theme though. Thanks guys! Big Grin
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Whatever became of the Roman Army in the West - by MarcellusCCLXXV - 07-04-2010, 06:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AD455 - the fall of the Roman west? Nathan Ross 15 3,832 05-18-2017, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late roman army (west) liodari 15 3,465 03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Urselius
  5th Century West Roman / East Roman Armour SvenLittkowski 8 5,874 08-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Last Post: SvenLittkowski