Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi, grave stele I\'ll be glad if readers.
Quote:Ruben, I agree with your translation. As the Greek text reads, this is how it should be translated, as we did above. The male name c?uld be ????????C, I guess, the first letter are not easy to make out.

[attachment=0:3bzzjtz5]<!-- ia0 stele.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3bzzjtz5]

I definitely don't see a kappa or an eta in there, but the last two letter before the phi definitely look like a rho and an upsilon.

Quote:What do you think regarding the prominence of the XXXforos name? It is the only thing that makes me wonder whether there is a grammatical mistake that would make it the name of the deceased. I can't recall examples of an ?????????? ?????, which would have the name of the commissioner in higher prominence of that of the deceased.

Roman funerary stelae aren't a subject I'm all that familiar with, to be honest, but I know from eastern Greek examples from the Hellenistic period that sometimes the men who commissioned a stele could have themselves feature more prominently than the deceased. A few examples I know of, for instance, feature the name of a deceased woman and the name of her husband, but feature a representation of the husband in full combat equipment. I have a strong hunch that the prominence of the man's name may have to do with the items represented below. The one on the left may be a wreath, which is a generic symbol for virtue on such stelae, but I have no idea what the object on the right is. Nonetheless, it's likely something associated with Peloris' brother's employment or achievements, and so this stele should perhaps not be viewed so much as a monument erected exclusively for Peloris, but rather for Peloris as a member of her family, which is best represented by [-]phoros (as the head of the family? Or simply as her dearest male relative?) and symbols which represent him.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: hi, grave stele I\'ll be glad if readers. - by MeinPanzer - 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I do not know the grave stele diyapolis 10 2,260 08-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Last Post: immortal