Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empirical testing of hoplite performance
Quote:So, to take a piece of discussion from earlier in the thread, a critical question is what is the fighting stance of the hopite? How does he thrust with his spear? How does he cut with his sword? And once we have theories to test for these, how does he do things with those who stand behind him based on the images we see?

It is unlikely that we will be able to add anything to the discussion by extrapolating from images on vases. The interpretation of these images is far too subjective. Almost any arguement I can rasie based on images I can also counter using other images- or more disconcerting, the same images interpreted another way. Men have been doing this type of investigation for centuries and you see how far we still are from consensus.

We run into a different problem with any analysis focused solely on the individual- fighting stance, etc. The main weakness of using reenactment to understand hoplites is that we cannot go full speed, which allows men to do all sorts of things on the field that would get them or their neighbors killed, and we cannot replicate the sheer mass of men involved, certain patterns emerge spontaneously in large groups. Any style of fighting has to work in a 3' fontage per man, perhaps as low as 1.5' at times. I can tell you that I have seen many "hoplite fighting techniques" reenacted which are useless without at least a 6' spacing, probably more. The only way to get at this is to do testing in groups at varying spacing between rankers and between men in file.

My approach would be the opposite of what you suggest. Men have not changed much in 2,000 years, so I would throw a body of hoplites together in ranks and give them some measurable task, like stabbing targets, and then let them take on stances, spear grips and striking vectors that work in a 3' spacing most efficiently. Then alter the spacing, rank number, add some dulled spears being thrust at them, and various other elements and see what positions work under all conditions and which are better for some. Only then would I reconcile the derived data with art.

Short of a full-on hoplite phalanx Kumite, this is best way we have.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Empirical testing of hoplite performance - by PMBardunias - 08-28-2010, 01:45 AM