Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empirical testing of hoplite performance
Quote:But in my limited understanding of hoplites, skills that demand high levels of coordination and rythm, like dancing and physical competitions (wrestling), could be common skills much like different skillsets, like playing with balls or computers, are today in Europe.

Ah, I see what you are getting at. I'm not sure if you've read any of my stuff, but we are thinking alike because I've put forth that group dancing is probably the primary mode of training for hoplite combat. The ability to move in unison with files of men is surely a preadaptation for fighting in a phalanx- particularly in othismos. It is not suprising that we read "those who dance best for the Gods are best in war" or that battlefields should be called "dancing grounds".

As to how such cultural skill sets play out, I have an anectdote. I was once in Darwin Australia, playing catch with a rugby ball with a local fellow. It was a kids ball and pretty much the size and shape of a stubby ended football, so I threw it like one, overhand in a spiral. My friend could not do this, but he could punt it to me with his fist quite accurately- which was comical when I tried it. Thus, due simply to the game I had grown up with, I was better prepared to be a peltast than he was.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Empirical testing of hoplite performance - by PMBardunias - 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM