Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POSTER of the IMPERIAL ROMAN LEGION
Some further thoughts:

You have depicted the legionary cavalry as 6 turmae of 96 troopers (= 576 cavalrymen), although you have correctly noted that it should only be 120 cavalrymen. (The caption "120 equitates" should be "120 equites".)

Each turma is depicted with a decurio and a "vexillifer". Off hand, I'm not sure of the evidence for legionary cavalry officers. There was definitely an optio equitum, and decurio seems logical (unless there was a centurio equitum ... anybody?) but your flag-bearer should be labelled vexillarius. (Also, I'm not sure what your label "ALAE SAGITTARII AUXILIA" refers to.)

For your command group, you have correctly included the legatus legionis, the tribunus laticlavius, and the praefectus castrorum; also the five tribuni angusticlavii. But I have never heard of a "tesserarius ad legatus"; nor have I heard of six mounted "aenatores" -- is there some evidence for this?

Also, at legionary command level, there should only be an aquilifer and an imaginifer; all other standard bearers are at centurio/turma level. (The primus pilus, of course, belongs with his own centuria in the first cohort.)

Finally, the artillery: Your legion of the second/third century AD should (as far as we know) be equipped with one onager per cohort and one arrow-shooting ballista per centuria. The onagers should not be labelled "CATAPULTAE" and the two arrow-shooters you have depicted are first century scorpiones, not second/third century ballistae.

(And why are there some auxiliaries in the background?!)

Hope some of this helps!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: POSTER of the IMPERIAL ROMAN LEGION - by D B Campbell - 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PEOPLE ยท Republican and Imperial Rome family tree poster Cornelius Hirsch 2 1,534 11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Cornelius Hirsch
  Who Commanded a Cohort in an Imperial Legion? Zenobia of Palmyra 9 4,774 08-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Last Post: jkaler48