Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'The myth of Celtic and Roman Britain\'
Quote:
LvpvsRomanvs:3gjrswpk Wrote:This idea of unification through religion is a good theory. When Celtic tribes did unify in war it was the druids that selected the leader of the war-party.
Do we have any sources for this assumption? Afaik, caratacus and Boudicca were respected on their own behalf and were neither 'seleted' by druids. Besides, was there even any mention of 'unified' druids? Was there in your opinion a 'druidic synod' which selected such leaders? I think that much of this goes back either to Julius Caesar's political/mistaken opinions, or 19th century fiction.

There are no direct sources that I know of on this matter. Perhaps you are correct to say that this may go back to the opinions of Caesar and the 19th century. But surely the position of leader could not have simply just been attained through strength of character. These armies would have had been a multitude of tribes and chieftains. There must have been a higher authority selecting these leaders in order to prevent inner conflict over who would lead the army. What better authority to do this than the druids?
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F

Messages In This Thread
Re: \'The myth of Celtic and Roman Britain\' - by LvpvsRomanvs - 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt Antoninus05 12 5,252 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Last Post: bloodseekerboi1