Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xiphos blade shapes?
Another option is to go in the etruscan style hilts. They were a bit different and simpler. Matt Amt has made one such,and also Manning Imperial.
http://manningimperial.com/item.php?ite ... =1&c_id=14
They weren't frequent in mainland Greece. There are swords with the iron cover on the grip,but the guard still seems to gave the more pointy shape,not the square one like the Etruscan. Etruscan swords also had a bit different scabbard chape and throat.
Of utmost interest is this old thread on the sword forum by John Piscopo. http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread ... adid=25289
He has a greek-style xiphos. He believes the solid pieces on the guard were one piece with the rest of the sword.Here is what he says on the other forum "My best observation is that the entire sword was forged to be one piece, including the bands on either side of the guard which would have secured the lower end of the placques for the hilt, the other end being secured by a pommel cap. The two strips would have been shaped on an anvil and then hammer welded to the blade at the ends."
This is what i believed too when i saw the two other swords at Vergina up close, no traces of rivets on them and they didn't look like separate pieces. There was only a nail still visible under the thin plate,but it wasn't extending over it.I guessed it just secured the bone on the tang. But then i noticed the "rivets" on the gold plate of the long xiphos and was convinced that they were indeed separate pieces.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Xiphos blade shapes? - by Virilis - 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Re: Xiphos blade shapes? - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Re: Xiphos blade shapes? - by Virilis - 09-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Xiphos blade shapes? - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Re: Xiphos blade shapes? - by Virilis - 09-05-2010, 04:09 PM