Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin epigraphy in "Centurion" movie
Quote:
Vindex:3tfdqekr Wrote:Can't contribute much except to say what an interesting thread! Must go and look up the grafitti reference as I was unware of that one.

Thanks guys!
Well if you are interested in that book the ISBN-number is 3-7608-1131-0
I found the book very interesting as there are lots of photos of the grafitis as also transscriptions into readable latin as into modern German for those not so firm in common or vulgar latin. Also lots of ideas for those wondering what to do with a piece of charcoal at a event. :mrgreen:

:lol: Good idea! haha

Also, @ Quinton: Excellent point about the lack of spacing between words in Latin texts, that's something I'd actually forgotten about, but even in nice legible texts there is not even any punctuation like we're used to today. As for the destruction of Roman camps upon their abandonment, again I know that this was the norm, not to mention the ideal, but I still maintain that we needn't feel absolutely sure that this happened 100% of the time. I agree that in the situation in the movie at least, it seemed as if the soldiers definitely would have torched the place as they left, you are absolutely right. But I am sure there were instances where forts/fortlets weren't destroyed by the Romans themselves due to various extenuating circumstances. Of course, any further on this point, and I'm sure it will sound as if I'm arguing for the sake of arguing, so I'll leave it at that Big Grin
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Latin epigraphy in "Centurion" movie - by Phaichtos - 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Alphabet Calligraphy Epigraphy Font Paleography Script Restitvtvs 22 32,486 11-25-2017, 12:12 PM
Last Post: szaszu