Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos
Quote:I have yet to read a satisfactory description of what occurred when hoplites faces sarissaphoroi, and I certainly have not produced one myself, but I think we can determine some elements. Most likely a hoplite phalanx would find their aspides "pinned" by sarissa stuck in them like the Roman scutii at Pydna. This would lead to a struggle, perhaps with a hoplite pushing forward the aspis and the sarissa being pushed forward in a two-handed grip. But how hard can you push on a spear point that is already transfixing your shield? My guess is that usually you would force the point through before you push the other end out of the hands of the sarissaphoroi. Then if you do manage to push back the sarissa a few feet, you will face another one jabbing at you in any case. Even if some hoplites could force their way between the sarissa, it is unlikely that many in a row along the first rank could simultaneously. This means that to exploit such a break in, you would have to break ranks, something that hoplites were loathe to do.

I have thought about this and from my point of view (untested) is that the only way to avoid the sarissa poking through is to raise the aspis overhead. The pushing forward by the rear ranks of hoplites I think would generate enough force to drive the point into the hoplite. If you raise the aspis though you are susceptible to the next rank of sarissa points and negates any advantage the hoplite might have at attacking his immediate opponent that is off balance and his weapon at the moment unusable.
It's just a theory so please if any faults elaborate. Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pushing from Classical Sources - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Re: Responding to your questions - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Re: Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos - by Astiryu1 - 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM