Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video : Museum brings ancient Rome to life
Musea working together with living history people, experimental archaeologists et cetera is of course a thing to be supported and applauded.

However, a museum should ask for people who are ACCURATE. Their reconstructions should be acceptable to the scientific world, their explanation to the audiences should be thorough and true to the letter, and even if some things remain unclear, should be didactical and sound.

Bashing shields is not such a thing, the equipment of the soldiers (especially the blue shielded ones) is ridiculous and bad. I do not know enough about theatre to comment on the show which was given.

Re-enactors who take their hobby serious, and who have proved beyond a doubt they are accurate and correct in their equipment (as far as reconstructions of original material go, should work alongside museums. Just like we help Deepeeka bettering their stuff, just like we are in close connection to Daniyal and other makers, we should also try and be in touch with the musea of the world... Here in the Netherlands things have been going quite well for years now, regarding contact between musea and re-enactment groups of high standard, as well as scolarly support and help where needed, sometimes even access to unpublished finds can be granted, but not enough to my personal liking (referring to the post in which i mentioned the Archaological provincial depot in Alphen, full of unpublishes military finds)

Theme parks are possible, and some are indeed very good in their intentions, however if commerciality takes over, accuracy goes down the drain, cf. Archeon where even the Latin words accompanying photos of pugiones et cetera are misspelled and dead wrong.

A lot of work can, and must, still be done.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Video : Museum brings ancient Rome to life - by MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U Penn museum Birth of Rome event richsc 1 1,560 04-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Scipio Second