Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheer horror... A Trooper helmet collection...
This is to Matt who completely misunderstood the tone of my post. That is what I really like about writing as opposed to speaking on the phone.

I am not going to belabor the issue further but in the world we live in its not quality its quantity. Do you really think Matt, that ten Romans in proper gear is more impressive than just 50 Romans no matter what they are wearing. Yes, to you and me, the proper Romans are desirable but to people at an event its the other way around. Small groups that have an officer and three legionaries are ridiculous no matter how excellent their kit is when in public. I know, without mentioning any names, of people within our hobby that ridicule small groups. So don't tell me that the norm look for quality, they don't. People want a good show.

And No I am not saying that people should just stay ignorant and believe Hollywood. All I am saying is that we represent a small closed minority and that we will not really change the majority of what people will see since WE ARE NOT IN THE MOVIES or on the HISTORY CHANNEL. Even on the HC, things are really screwed up but who are people going to believe.

I also think that generally many people at an event come for purposes of curiosity not because they are interested in history. Again, they come to look at a show. Do you really think that telling them "Hey the real neckguard is round while the crappy one is like a lobster tail" is going to change that persons general perception. I think Matt, that you have TOO much faith in people.

I do agree that it is our duty as people who like history to make sure that what WE do is the best we can. But believe me it goes under appreciated and barely noticed IMHO.

You really want to talk about inaccuracies, Matt? How about reenactors here in the US that look like they belong on a pro American football team. Should they go home too? I am sure that there were many 6'0 tall if not taller soldiers all weighing in at 250lbs and higher. Some of the reenactors I have seen from the US have a belt that is barely visible because their gut hangs over the whole thing.

So someone that is huge as described but has the correct equipment is ok?

Thus going all out to sort groups that suck is really not all that necessary simply because of the above statement.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Sheer horror... A Trooper helmet collection... - by Doc - 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commercial about a new horror movie jkaler48 8 1,816 07-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius