Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
Quote:let it be remembered, are of Thracian stock, subject to the Makedones, and at this time inconsequential militarily – psiloi and peltasts and such-like; ‘rabble’ hardly worth mentioning.

The Periokoi of Thessaly also produced peltasts. Why is the center of gravity for the lower classes to be seen as Thracian, to the east, or Illyrian, the west, rather than a form of "Greek" akin to the lower Thessalian classes, south, perhaps speaking a highly divergent dialect of early Greek?

By the way, even pre-DNA tests, humans have a great capacity to judge relationship by appearance. I wonder just how much outbreeding there was in a polis, Spartiates must have surely all had a certain resemblance by the time the breeding population was down to less than 1,000. Perhaps there was a Greek version of the old Italian: "Una Facia, una Racia."
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by PMBardunias - 11-23-2010, 04:55 AM