Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
Quote:Yes Rumo, I do recognise that fact, and was generalising to some extent. After all, a great many curious Greeks in the Chalkidiki region would have had to observe the Persian carving of a canal though one of the prongs of that peninsula. There were single-poleis Greek colonies virtually everywhere around the Mediterranean/Euxine basins. It's always a problem with catch-all phrases in all respects - arguably the Persians not specifying if they meant individual or collected Greek communities within Thrakian domains etc.; a larger regional ethnos like the Makedonians; or the more embracing umbrella term you suggest. But the term meaning 'Greeks wearing the hat' is thought to refer to the kausia hat which was distinctive to the Makedones.

I've read several arguments that 'yauna takabara' is to be read as 'petasos-wearing Ionians'.

Moreover, AFAIK, kausia is attested later, in Hellenistic context, centuries after the articulation of this ethnic stereotype in Persian inscriptions.
Drago?

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by Rumo - 11-26-2010, 03:03 PM